[freespace2] primary weapons damage question

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 31 17:36:55 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-30 at 16:03, tigital wrote:
> hiya,
>
> ...since getting the model loading code to work on OS X, I've been
> able to complete the first training mission!  There were a few
> glitches, but some of them I blame on byte swapping
> chunksize/chunklength in modelinterp:  I'll be able to move this to
> modelread soon...however there was one weird glitch that I need to
> address:  firing at the drones with my primary weapons (lasers)
> doesn't do any damage?  I can see them fire and apparently strike,
> but they just didn't do any damage...so I just used the secondary
> weapons (missiles), which worked fine ;-)
>
> Anyone know a possible reason for this lack of damage, or where to
> start looking?

Start in src/ship/shiphit.cpp.  Also try shooting the trainer to see if
it does damage to him.  If it doesn't (or does) then go through
src/object/object.cpp and go back a forth through src/weapon/weapons.cpp
and src/ship/ship.cpp.  Maybe you can find the problem in there.
Someone who is testing the German version of FS1 for me says the same
thing happens when trying to shoot a cargo container in a training
mission.  I haven't found the problem yet so if you come up with
anything please let me know.

--
Taylor Richards <mtrs at bellsouth.net>