[freespace2] Hi.

Dave Champion dave at dchamp.net
Thu Dec 26 22:13:51 EST 2002

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 stevenzx at juno.com wrote:

> Yes, I DID get the CVS version from the webpage you listed...
> I even used CVS which I had never done before... now you can't
> make fun of me for being a newbie! Ha!
>
> Anyway,
>
> I type make in the dir with the makefile and get this:
>
> [root at localhost freespace2]# make
> Makefile:248: *** commands commence before first target.  Stop.
> [root at localhost freespace2]#
>
> no idea what's happening... I have OpenAl installed, albeit not
> the newest CVS version as I couldn't figure out how to install that
> either (no docs). Also, I have SDL installed.

On my Mandrake 8.2 system, the version of OpenAL I installed from CD
wasn't new enough. I had to go grab either a CVS or snapshot version of
it. If you need help with that, I can see if I can find what version
worked for me.

But... you're obviously not getting that far yet. Are you sure your C
compiler and make work? Have you been able to download & compile some
simple C source code tarball?

Oh... and please tell us what OS you're running (like Mandrake 9.0 or
RedHat 8.0...) and anything unusual you've done on your system - like if
you manually updated your glibc version or something.

-dc