[freespace2] Patching the data files

Вячеслав Вячеслав
Tue Aug 13 15:16:03 EDT 2002

> I believe that FreeSpace2.exe is only the launcher with FS.exe being the
> game/engine.  If only freespace2.exe is a Russian version then I don't
> see any problems just copying your windows patched version of
> root_fs2.vp to the Linux side.  I haven't looked at the data that
> changed with the FS2 1.20 update but I know that fixes in the vp files
> will just be to audio, textures, models, some graphics and tables.  I
> don't see a real reason that it wouldn't work but you will have any
> problems with the game that the 1.20 version of the vp files fixed.
>
> I did already make a patch using Loki Update for updating FS2 under
> Linux.  It's for x86 only to keep the file size down but I can post it
> somewhere or e-mail it to you if you want to try it out.  The file size
> for the patch is 758k.
Please, do it!
This is exactly what I need (1.0 .vp -> latest) and I would be very
grateful if you sent it to me. I feel that it should be at the web page
too.

The windows patcher looks at the launcher first and refuses to process
.vp-s pointblank on finding that it is non-English|German... Having a
working Linux patcher is definitely the right solution.