FS1: Status Update

Taylor Richards trichard at surfsouth.com
Sun Aug 4 02:48:14 EDT 2002

I haven't had a lot of time lately to work on this but I did get enough
done to put up a new patch.  I also think I've found a bug but I need
help to verify that it's a bug or that I just can't play the game worth
a shit.  On the "Playing Judas" (sm2-08a) mission where you fly the
captured dragon fighter I can't get the Eva and Lucifer to scan.  I put
a player file on the web page to that you can use it to play just that
mission.  Hopefully someone has the game and can try it and let me know
whether or not it works for them.

I made sure to go through this patch and clean up anything that would
cause an issue with the FS2 build, but I could have missed something.  I
still don't think it's ready for CVS yet, though next weeks patch should
be ready.  I still can't get the comments to strip out and I'm to the
point of giving up so someone else is going to have to do it though I
hate to lose so I'll probably keep trying.

I've included a credits.tbl that is the same as the original but has one
extra line to make it parse correctly.  I tried to get it to work
without this one line but it would either get no text, one line of text,
crash or it would try and parse the wrong table (WTF?).  I think I will
just add the linux developers who work(ed) on the FS2 code to the
credits file since I think it's a waste to include this file for one
line and people should know why they can play the game under linux.

I got the help working so pressing F1 no longer causes a crash.  FS1 has
bitmap overlays for help while FS2 has a help.tbl with the information
in it.  The code to use the old bitmaps was ripped out but after looking
at it for a bit I realized that it was going to be more work to get the
new help to work with FS1.  It only took about 20-25 lines of code to
get it working though it can probably be done a little bit cleaner to
match the rest of the code.  But it works so I'm going to leave it for
now and come back to it later.

I still can't get the asteroids working either and I have no idea why
they don't work.  It's probably something that I'm just missing but
since the game works without them and they is only a couple of missions
in which asteroids play a part getting it fixed is low on my list.

There are still a few (just over a dozen) UI bugs that I've found but
I've got half of them fixed in this patch and they should be nearly all
that's left.  The only big thing I've really got left is the properly
set up the second MainMenu but that shouldn't take long.  I'll just plan
on doing a new patch next Sunday.

http://www.surfsouth.com/~trichard/fs/

Taylor Richards <trichard at surfsouth.com>