crash to desktop

Se\/ severed at mindspring.com
Mon May 12 20:34:58 EDT 2003

I am getting a crash to desktop (well my son is...who better to beta
something!) on my #2 machine. As soon as I get there I will confirm it
on my machine...

It happens at map Urban South (1st map in 2nd mission), right when you
interact with the "computer terminal" in the game, it crashes. I think
it is trying to load a movie. My son and I are both playing thru on the
single player.... he got there first so I dont know if it happens on my
box yet. But it puts a quick end to the single player :)

Here is the info I think is important from the Devastation.log

Log: ALAudio: AL_INVALID_VALUE in RegisterSound (generating buffer)
ScriptLog: Triggering consolecommand: Unfreeze
Critical: appError called:
Critical: Assertion failed: fMovie [File:UnMovie.cpp] [Line: 62]
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing USDLClient::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: UALAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: Exiting.
Log: Waiting for file streaming thread to finish...
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Log file closed, Mon May 12 17:53:12 2003

Now this is no coincidence to me. See I had no sound, so I copied over
the openal.so from my ut2003 install into ~/devastation/System/ to get
it to work. Up to this point ( thru all the maps, movies etc on the 1st
mission), sound was OK...other then some wierd slow voice when a new
objective was announced (I think). So the problem is probably the fact I
am not using openal.so from devastation, but it was the only way to get
sound to work on my systems.

Hardware:
ABIT KG7-raid
AMD 1.4g