[cod] Hey everyone

Boyd G. Gafford Ph.D. drboyd at westportresearch.com
Thu Feb 23 17:42:09 EST 2012

Hey there, thanks for responding.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "the line is occupied
anyway."  If you mean the bandwidth to the server is saturated by the
flood, then yeah, its going to affect game play.  Fortunately most
servers at data centers have high enough bandwidth to them that a
typical attack doesn't saturate.

If your game server port is the target of a single IP UDP flood attack,
then typically an iptables drop rule handled by the kernel is more
efficient than the game server itself, especially if the flooded packets
are server commands that are being processed by the game server, which
is sending out UDP reply packets.  That takes up much more CPU than a
kernel-level packet drop.

Under those circumstances, the cheap VPS we use in Dallas has endured
64Mbps attacks for hours and the game server is still very playable.  It
would be nice if the flood was blocked at the router or carrier level,
but still iptables is pretty amazing when the kernel drop is your last
line of defense.

Thanks,

/Boyd/