[cod] MW3 dedicated servers confirmed ... what about linux?

Marco Padovan evcz at evcz.tk
Sat Sep 24 08:47:51 EDT 2011

Sure, there will might be a way to run it on sun solaris with a linux VM
in it with a windows VM in it (like a matrioska)

Anyway TF2 (the most played FPS multiplayer currently?) is a good
example: IIRC there are more linux servers compared to windows servers.
Additionally high end competitions are played only on linux servers.

Additionally linux servers allows users to put online more servers for
lower price (no windows license needed) = more servers availability.

If you really ran cod5 within wine (as I did) you will for sure remember
the incredible memory leaks that were happening using that combination
(wine + codwaw) just after 24hours of gameserver uptime.

Anyway I'm not here trying to convince you why linux is better to host
*servers* (this is a list dedicated to linux servers) but I'm here
asking if there there's any news about linux binaries.

I'm asking this because I think every
gameserverprovider/clan/"multigaming paying for it's own hardware" needs
to plan their "business" and decide which games they need to push and
promote and which other games they have to "discredit" in order to drive
the users to the games they think are more "profitable"/"cheap to
maintain" (running on linux is one of the key indexes IMHO).