[cod] Query limiting...

Marco Padovan evcz at evcz.tk
Thu Oct 27 08:02:14 EDT 2011

enemy territory suffer (and has sufferend in the past) of the exact same
attack... I was having et servers targeted with 1k pps alone....
cod2 was abused in the past too... they just started hitting again
recently... it's nothing exceptionally new :(

I think that for our own safety we should filters all the attacks at
network level... as even if cod2 was patched they would move to cod2
1.0, then cod1 then et... it's like a never ending story :)
(We are not only reflectors but one day we all could also became
targets... and maybe our own servers could be taking part to the attack
against themselfs)

We all (as servers admins) could even consider in setting up something
like dshield for those who cannot dynamically filter the incoming
reflections requests...

Our goal shouldn't be just to not avoid overloading our server instances
with unwanted queries request but also to protect ourself.

I do not know what is the current tech situation into the gameserver
market but in the past I heard many people running linux boxes with the
iptables modules blacklisted "because it lower performance"
Is this still the case? :|

Additionally: can people with AS like you (i3d) or mpuk or other big
players track down these spoof sources?

by the way:
currently spoofed ip targeting cod2:
184.154.231.14 (port 80) - attack detected at 13:50 CET
spoofed packet TTL is 116
pps decently high...