[cod] Query limiting...

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at icculus.org
Sat Oct 15 15:14:53 EDT 2011

> Incidentally it happened once that a user queried the server a few
> milliseconds before the bot was going to scan his server... the result
> was that the server didn't replied to the bot and the bot thought it was
> dead.

This is, strictly speaking, a bug in the bot. If it's running across the
internet and expects that every single UDP packet is reliable, and
considers the server dead if a single packet is dropped by the network,
then you're going to get false positives with or without query limiting.

> Another similar thing happened later: the server appeared to be working
> and reported correctly its vital parameters to the bot (getstatus) but
> it did not report the players in it (getinfo?) so the bot thought it was
> online but empty...

Yeah, it probably dropped the second packet due to the limiting.
Retrying a few times, in case a UDP packet got dropped en route, would
solve this and make the bot more robust in addition.

> Is there any word about MW3 linux binaries?
> Is a public fundraising (to pay for your work in case activision don't
> wont to spend money on the porting) out of reach? :(

If there's a MW3 (or any other game port), I would be paid by
Activision. The concern with MW2 wasn't that they refused to pay me,
it's that they were going a different direction with IWNet.

--ryan.