[cod] Query limiting...

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at icculus.org
Fri Oct 14 17:35:26 EDT 2011

> We are running some bots that manage the servers and do cleanup things
> when they are left empty... with this patch enabled servers we
> constantly appearing offline (forced restart!) or without users
> (automatic restart, logs cleanup and so on)... this was causing a lot of
> problems...

Do the bots have to hit each server faster than once per second? Maybe
just set the sv_queryIgnoreTime cvar to 500...even that would help
mitigate a DDoS attack, as most of the incoming packets get thrown away
instead of all of them getting replied to.

> Is there a way to set a whitelist?

It whitelists LAN addresses by default (do the bots run on external
networks?). I don't have any further whitelist mechanism at this moment.

> Can the cvars like sv_queryIgnoreMegs be changed on runtime via rcon or server.cfg?

It can't be changed after startup (I haven't checked, but I think that
it works in server.cfg). It definitely won't let you change it midgame
via rcon or the console, though.

--ryan.