[cod] "reflection attacks" ... cod servers exploited ?

Marco Padovan evolutioncrazy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 08:51:14 EST 2011

We are getting hit HARD (.eu)

I dunno what's the tool you are referring to... could you please mail me
some references privately so I can analyze it?

Basically we are currently dealing on a daily basis with this kind of
attackssince december ...

We find ourself handling 10k incoming spoofed packets per second during
certain times of the day...

What are you referring to small flow? 1k/sec? 100packets/sec?
Which kind of rate limiting figures did you all applied?
We are trying to defend our self with very very strict network
filters... but that's damaging also our services that certain times
appear unreachable (even if they are not)

In our case it looks like it's not just against other gameservers... but
also against random hosts...
Source packets sometimes are from port 80 udp and, if not blocked,
replies would do an udp flood to the poor host if enough gameservers
were involved... (even if no udp service was running on port 80) :(

The worst thing is that the damage to us as "reflectors" is very low as
we are used to handle a shitload of packets so it's difficult to say if
there's an attack going on or not :/

Additionally, as I'm providing services to different GSP brands in
different countries, I found out that attacks are basically spread on
ALL the servers... using all the servers available on the master list as
reflectors and targeting only a little number of victims... they are not
exploiting just a single GSP / gameserver :|