[cod] Off Topic: Bad Company 2

Midnight midowns at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 20:35:13 EST 2010

This is all speculation but...

It's very contradictory, but my guess is that they want the few GSP's to
provide free community servers, which they are obligated to do.  If they
gave it out to anyone to host they have no guarantee of that happening,
however there would be so many servers out there it wouldn't be an issue
anyway.  Why this obligation is there I don't know.  Since if they
wanted lots of free servers for ppl to play in then the smart thing is
to just let anyone host it.

As for cheating, not sure how it matters if they release the server
binaries or not on that front, but then I don't write cheat software.

If anything the biggest reason why this idea = fail is because of the
lack of competition.  Since there are so few options in providers, if
you don't like yours you only have a handful to choose from, and they
all know this so they will all over stack their boxes to drive up
profits.  Where you going to go if your server sucks?  Another gsp who
also has lag.  So essentially it just will make for laggy servers and
higher prices.  Smart move.

Also if you look at the providers available, they are largely the who's
who of laggy server providers.