[cod] Off-Topic: The Future of GSPs

[FnG] Lambik fng.lambik at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 05:22:55 EST 2010

It's already mentioned here before, the main target of gameDevs is young
ppl, as their interest span for a game only lasts a month. Added to that the
youth seem to have loads of money to spend, which enables them to buy a new
game every month(maybe even week).
When a game lasts 2 - 3 year (like UT2K4 did) the gameDevs will have costs
on 'after-sales' support, which only drains money from the shareholders,
that is of course not acceptable ;) So basically flood the market with easy
to 'host' multi-player games, that will guaranty a good cash-flow.

What surprises me most is how easy ppl accept the degrade of game play, I
have heard of ppl complain about the controls and use the excuse 'We're all
in the same boat, so that makes it right !' frik'n stupid if you ask me.

What can we do about it ? Actually nothing much if you ask me, we can
repeatedly be whining on mailing lists.

There is one alternative :
It's also mentioned here before => Create an opensource game
platform<engine>, on which the communities can create their own games.
As they are able to make mods, maps, mutators, I don't think they will be
far of on creating a whole game.
The biggest problem they have, is the lack of a descent free game engine, so
why not combine the knowledge and start a project(or continue if there
already is a project for it) on sourceforge.net  (Cube=> sauerbraten)
Maybe Ryan Gordon have good info on this.

Soon you will have enough free time on your hands, as console games will be
the only games left :D

Lambik