[cod] COD4 Server hosting recommendations

Steve TM stevetm001 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jul 21 20:08:12 EDT 2009

Hi Guys..,

I don't know If I should be asking this here, so please forgive me if I
shouldn't..<grin> To pre-empt my question...

I have my own Linux server at home where I used to host COD4 for friends (5
seemed to be the limit due to bandwidth), but the download speed of maps etc
was way too slow.

So I decided to purchase a COD4 Hosting pack... all good....  Nice fast
redirects, custom mods and maps etc... but, the server was not listed on the
in game internet games server.

So, decided to change providers after my subscription was up...  found a
nice one, well within budget, and straight away, was listed in the "in game"
server list, got loads of players.... according to gametracker has over
17000 individual player names in 4 months....  my own rcon has tracked over
8000 GUID's (mine is only on when my pc is on - see earlier post... it's
getting their... but still in alpha testing)

But custom maps and mods are nearly impossible to get up and running....
only conclusion I can come to is the host is windows based and not Linux.
The tech support is excellent, but I don't have the time to go back and
forth through tech support whenever I want to try a new mod, especially when
I can get the same mod working on my Linux server....

So, my dilemma....

I would like a host with fast redirects, Linux based, will be listed on the
"in game" server list, unbranded, public server, and team speak to boot.

So, can any one point me in the right direction?

Any recommendations on game hosts?

Many thanks

Regards

Steve