[cod] COD:WaW - Ryan status update?

|T-OC|Morpheus|:.Web morpheus at clantoc.org
Thu Jan 15 15:13:43 EST 2009

The reason is, Ryan don't own the code, and Ryan is not an ATVI
employee. So they need to test the conformity of every release, just
like any industrial company does with any subcontracted work.

You don't see it, but every point release in a cod game have to pass
through QA, but as it stays internal, you don't hear about it. The major
problem is, they give the code far too late to hope any day-to-day
release between win and *NIX. Even if Ryan works quickly, the bins have
to go back to labs before being put under the lights.

So with wine emulating windows "engine" in order to run windows
binaries, you don't have this kind of latency due to porting/validating.
But we don't have to consider it natural that a company "seriously"
announcing a (limited) linux support keep on lying on tha "day-to-day"
availability, and let hundreds of hosters (pros or amateurs) use what I
consider a nasty trick to give people the right to play where they want.

As far as I know, they're still working on 1.2 win-patch release, I
think you can consider Ryan's work on 1.1 as dead, as they will give him
the stuff when it is finished.