[cod] Mmmm... cores

"Einar S. idsø" einar.cod at norsk-esport.no
Thu Jan 15 09:45:36 EST 2009

Interesting. How many VEs did the ESX host run? If it only ran one, then
it sounds quite okay, but if it ran one for each server, then I am very
impressed! Not only does the host have to task-switch between each server
in the VEs, it also has to switch between each VE.

When it comes to L4D, it runs at a pretty low server-FPS of ~30, and it
is generally not a game where accuracy at high speeds is important. So L4D
doesn't require the same real-time performance as e.g CSS. COD4 I don't
know and currently can't check the tick-rate of, but I imagine it is
significantly lower than 100, making it also less dependent on RT-performance.
Wonder how 100 tick (by config) CSS servers would fare on a host with 8
cores and 8 VEs...

Cheers,
Einar