[cod] Mmmm... cores

Charles Goldsmith wokka at justfamily.org
Thu Jan 8 13:23:28 EST 2009

I'm running one game server in a windows box which is a vm and our
server has been busy every night with no performance problems at all.

Now, with regards to the original posters info, and if he's wanting to
maximize the amount of gameservers he wants to put on this box, vm's
are not the answer.  Way too much overhead for vm's, even with the
shared memory features of vmware.

Good linux host and jails are the best way to isolate the gameservers,
and no extra overhead of more operating systems.

The only drawback will be IO usage, a good raid array striped will be
a must, but even then, with 20 or so game servers, they will be
competing for resources on the drive access, or that is my best guess.

Please let us know how it works out
Charles