[cod] Bandwidth measurement

tog at teamltk.com tog at teamltk.com
Thu Jan 8 12:31:43 EST 2009

I have used both RRD and Bandwidthd to monitor traffic on servers..  RRD stores information in a
special database and then only creats the graphics when requested.. (cgi mode) or can generate
the graphics as part of a script run from cron..

check out http://martybugs.net/linux/rrdtool/traffic.cgi

Bandwidthd is very simple to install, also runs from cron, and creates graphs based on standard
BPF filtering limits for all ip addresses it sees on an interface (another libpcap tool)

http://bandwidthd.sourceforge.net/

Personally I like the RRD approach because I can monitor anything from traffic on an ethernet
port to the temperature of my routers or the amount of disk space used / available on my system...