CoD:WaW - How do I run custom mods with 1.2 Linux binaries?

Jinxter jinxter at third-tactical-commando.eu
Sat Feb 21 05:18:19 EST 2009

Hi folks,

I'm still trying to get the OpenWarfare mod up and running under Linux
(1.2 patch). The success is quite limited so far.

These are the things I discovered

- putting the ow mod.ff and z_openwarfare.iwd in the mods folder will not
force the server to run the mod. The server.cfg and the custom *.cfgs are
executed (the dvar dump shows that all settings are read). But the server
starts with stock weapons/standard settings as ranked server. No issues
with these settings on client side.

- screening the log shows a warning that the file xyz/zone/english/mod.ff
can not be found ("could not find xyz/zone/english/mod.ff")

- copying/linking the mod.ff from the custom mods to this directory
removes that warning and the server starts the custom mod. This is proven
by the fact that he starts the randomm maprotation (as set in the ow
settings). Before he started always with the first map in the
maprotation.cfg. Now with every new start a new map is loaded.

- connecting with the client ends up with the message "mod.ff is different
from the server". Yes, I put the same files on the server, the download
and redirect. I also deleted the local install of the mod to force him to
download. Same result. As the redirect download of the mod.ff seems not to
work I installed it manually at the end.

- I copied the corresponding mod.ff in the local directory (client side)
C:\Program Files\blah blah\zone\english and now I can connect to the
server. The server is really running the mod... BUT

- I can not join any team... I'm stuck being a spectator...

Long story - short questions:
- Anyone else having this kind of probs?
- Anyone managed to get his Linux server up and running with custom mods?
- What are the points I'm missing?

FYI: I start the server with the provided script and set the needed var's
as discussed here in the forum.

Any help appreciated!

cheers
Jinxter