[cod] [CoD4] Multiple NIC's

Eureka eureka at fusionnetwork.us
Fri Nov 7 17:05:21 EST 2008

Hey Raimo
 If your only having ~40 people and dont care about everyone having a
ping of ~20-34 I wouldn't worry about using Dual Nic's.
 My Pc-Gamers club at our university hosts 2x 30 person COD4 servers off
one box using 1 gbt nic and a similar network setup (extended star using
a mix of gb-uplink/10/100 switches).
We have never had an issue with pings getting higher than ~34 but thats
because of the system we are running on (very old p4). On a faster comp
i would expect pings of 10-20 at most.

I personally run the servers/network at the Lan's we throw and we use
CentOS 5.x (linux) as they seem to be a lot more stable for dedicated
Lan servers... that and with the older hardware we are using we see a
drop of ~7 in the pings on the server (compared to a dedicated windows
server..xp..server 03...etc).

For our setups we do the following...

Router (pfSense)
GBT -> outside
GBT -> LAN
This box serves all of the DHCP and allows users to connect to the net.

That switch spiders out to each of our tables. Each table has 1/2
switches depending on how big the tables are and what switch is at that
location.

Ideally this is how i would suggest a setup.

                                                Router

                             Backbone Switch (Full Gigabit)

   Table1(gigabit uplink--back to backbone)       Table2 (gigabit
uplink--back to backbone)
          |               |                  |
            |                  |                     |
          |               |                  |
            |                  |                     |
          |               |                  |
            |                  |                     |
       10/100      10/100       10/100
10/100       10/100           10/100
           PC1         PC2            PC3
PC4             PC5             PC6

Ive attached the ascii as an image...just incase it wont format properly.

Also, i will mention that using dual nic's on Windows...Not very happy
to do usually.
I will also note that our Lan's typically have anywhere between 60-100
people and we usually host ~10 different games over a shared network. We
still are able to achieve very low pings for a environment this hacky ;)
If you want some assistance planning your Lan please hit me back and ill
do what i can.

You can check out our club website here: www.uwyogamers.com (Check out
the gallery)

Hope this helps.... some....