[cod] Command line issue with fs_basepath fs_gamepath and fs_game setup

Minte van Dalen minte.vandalen at planet.nl
Thu Jan 24 11:20:49 EST 2008

Lo all,

My server was running from fs_homepath /home/myaccount/cod4/
I have 3 cod4 servers on my dedicated box, and all 3 had the full files in
it, waste of disk space is a say

So today I started to set everything of to be working with a combination of
fs_basepath , fs_homepath & fs_game(if necessary)

With cod2 (this works correct),

In/usr /local/myaccount/ cod2/  and all the game files in there works, and
the config and pb files in /home/myaccount/cod2/ with a fs_game set to the
map /mymod

In /home/myaccount/cod2/ I do not have any original game files, just the mod
and pm nothing more.

IP=0.0.0.0 (should be the real ipadres)
PORT=28900
BASEPATH=/usr/local/myaccount/cod2
HOMEPATH=/home/myaccount/cod2
GAMETYPE=mymod
SERVERCONFIG=server.cfg
STARTMAP=mp_breakout
MAXPLAYERS=20

STARTMODE="$BASEPATH/cod2_lnxded +set dedicated 2 +set sv_punkbuster 1 +set
net_IP $IP +set net_port $PORT +set fs_basepath $BASEPATH +set fs_homepath
$HOMEPATH +set fs_game $GAMETYPE +exec $SERVERCONFIG +map_rotate "

When I try to get the same setup working for cod4 I run in to problems

the setup:
IP=0.0.0.0 (should be the real ipadres)
PORT=28910
BASEPATH=/usr/local/myaccount/cod4
HOMEPATH=/home/myaccount/cod4
GAMEPATH=mods/pam
SERVERCONFIG=warserver.cfg
STARTMAP=mp_backlot
MAXPLAYERS=16
HLTVPORT=28935
STARTMODE="$BASEPATH/cod4_lnxded +set dedicated 2 +set sv_punkbuster 1 +set
sv_pure 1 +set net_IP $IP +set net_port $PORT +set fs_homepath $HOMEPATH
+set fs_game $GAMEPATH +set fs_basepath $BASEPATH +exec $SERVERCONFIG
+map_rotate "

When I try to run the above, the server won't start till I gets online, the
config files and the pammod are located in /home/myaccount/cod4/mods/pam,
the fs_game which is in Homepath /home/myaccount/cod4.
when I remove the +set fs_game part, the server starts as a  CoD4Host
server, with the build in config file which is located in the game files in
/usr/local/myaccount/cod4 on the correct ipadres en port en the rest enabled
what's mentioned in the command line.

Normal wise I would say this config has to work, at least it does this way
with cod2, but it doesn't, it refuses to read my fs_game located in
fs_gamepath, and the server shuts down.

The 2nd startup line I tried was:

Is triggering it from HOMEPATH and the Linux bins in /home/myaccount/cod4,
so the command line became:
STARTMODE="$HOMEPATH/cod4_lnxded +set dedicated 2 +set sv_punkbuster 1 +set
sv_pure 1 +set net_IP $IP +set net_port $PORT +set fs_homepath $HOMEPATH
+set fs_game $GAMEPATH +set fs_basepath $BASEPATH +exec $SERVERCONFIG
+map_rotate "

In this case I putted the Linux bins in my fs_homepath and tricker the
command from there out.

Is started with only the serverconfig files in fs_game "mods/pam" and the PB
files in the pb folder, so main docs and zone are left empty

The strange thing now is that the servers seems to boot, reading the configs
in the fs_game, but the problem stats with the files of the "Zone/english"
folder, all other files (of the main folder) are read from the fs_basepath
"main folder" corresponding the the screen logs, but it wants to read the
files of the Zone folder from my fs_home, so here the server shuts down with
the error that these files are not here.

So tested some more with the same command line, and added the full Zone
folder to the fs_homepath dir.

And yes the server is running.

So for as far as I do know setting up a Linux servers at this moment, I'm
doing something wrong, or is is a problem with the Linux binaries for cod4,
I rather think the first then the second.

If it is me and my command line, could someone help me out, cause I would
like to have my /home partition minimal in size.

If it are the Linux bins that just do not want to read the Zone folder from
fs_basepath while the command line says that there are the files, can
someone verify that.

If it that the Linux bins have problems with working with fs_basepath with
all the files ,and and a fs_game with only the server.cfg in the main or in
the mods/pam folder and the pb folder, to work together, can some verify
that for me.

Cause at this moment I'm totally out of idea's to get it to work to only
have 1 cod4 folder in fs_basepath, and have different folders for the 3
servers in /home and have only the configs there in the maps they should be,
cause 3 times the zone folder in the servers in fs_game is another double
6,6Gig on the disk.

So if anyone can help me out , please

Regards,

Minte van dalen