[cod] Linux COD4 Issues

Kenny Southpark afp_kenny at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 5 23:50:23 EST 2008

I just launced my LAN server to see what dedicated returned. I had allways wonderd why I was having master server heartbeats. -nomaster does not work with this game

Below is what dedicated returnd with +set dedicated 1 in the commandline, I nabed the master server lookup that was there as well...

Sending heartbeat to cod4master.activision.comdedicated"dedicated" is: "dedicated internet server^7" default: "dedicated internet server^7"  Domain is one of the following:   0: listen server   1: dedicated LAN server   2: dedicated internet server

This might be a bug that has not been realised yet.

~kennycom

From: afp_kenny at hotmail.comTo: cod at icculus.orgDate: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 20:38:24 -0800Subject: RE: [cod] Linux COD4 Issues

  What is your complete commandline for the LAN server? You might want to bump the port number up one number on the LAN box and block that port from the internet on your locations Router/Firewall  I do server hosting at local LAN partys and have never had your problem, but we do not have ports forwarded to the box.... Are you running PB on the LAN server as well? ~Kennycom

Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 16:29:06 -0700From: tboserver at gmail.comTo: cod at icculus.orgSubject: [cod] Linux COD4 Issues
Hello all,

  I'm trying to administer some CoD4 servers for both a LAN party and a clan online.  I'm running into two major issues with the linux server.

  1.  I can't seem to get Punkbuster to install.  I issue the commands to install Punkbuster, and have read in some forums that the middle one (./pbsetup.run --add-game=cod4 --add-game-path=/home/tbo/Servers/cod4-linux-server) should output some text, but it never does, and then when I run the server, I get a nice Error: Unable to initialize punkbuster.  Punkbuster is disabled message, and have a server that isn't punkbuster enabled.
  2.  I can't get a LAN server to run.  When I run the command ./cod4_lnxded +set dedicated 1 +exec hm.cfg +g_gametype "dom" +map mp_crash and for good measure have in hm.cfg set dedicated "1", it still runs as an Internet server (I've had people connect to it when it's supposed to be LAN only).  This is critical for me because the LAN group has permission at their LAN party to allow the browsing of the internet, but not the hosting of game servers.

While booting, the words "dedicated is read only" flashes by, and then when I run 'dedicated' in the console, I get the following message:
dedicated"dedicated" is: "dedicated internet server^7" default: "dedicated internet server^7"  Domain is one of the following:   0: listen server   1: dedicated LAN server   2: dedicated internet server
And when I try to set the variable, this happens:
set dedicated 1dedicated is read only.
I hope someone has run into these issues before and has a solution.  Thanks, and frag on!