[cod] firewall then cod server

tog at teamltk.com tog at teamltk.com
Tue Dec 16 01:13:43 EST 2008

if your firewall does inbound port address translation (PAT) where you tell your firewall to
forward port 28960 to machine 192.168.1.5 (or similar internal address) , and you only have a
single ip address for your router / firewall, then the firewall will do NAT (network address
translation) that tells the 'real world' what your public address is.  This is how something
like a Linksys, D-Link, DDWRT etc would work...

It would be different if you had multiple 'real world' ip addresses and forwarded an address
with all ports (NAT) to your internal server.  In this case, you would want to do a form of
reverse NAT (SNAT or Source Network Address Translation) in the firewall..

I can go more in depth if you care...

TOG