[cod] COD5 Linux using wine and CLI - My progress so far (not yet working)

Walker walkertje at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 11:54:15 EST 2008

I've been at it this weekend to. After a *lot* of fooling around I finally
got it working.

The downside is (indeed), you *do* need an X environment.

I'm using CentOS 5
What I did was install Wine (I'm running version 1.0). I'm using vnc to
startup the X environment on the server (used this manual:
http://bobpeers.com/linux/vnc.php). On my windows client I use tightvnc (
http://www.tightvnc.com/).

I've been having a lot of trouble because my server didn't understand the
openGL driver CoD:WaW needs. (running glxinfo (in the shell on the server)
told me that).
After a lot of searching I installed de mesa3d drivers (www.mesa3d.org). Now
finally glxinfo works.

My start script looks like this:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/games/mesa/Mesa-7.2/lib"
cd /usr/local/games/sources/cod5/
wine CoDWaWmp.exe +set dedicated 2 +set net_ip www.1stsop.nl +set net_port
28962 +set ui_maxclients 22 +exec server.cfg +exec maprotation.cfg
+map_rotate

the library stuff is my way to get those mesa libraries in.

Remember, I am definitly *not* a linux expert. Maybe it can be done in a
much better way, but it works. For the time being (until linux bins come
out) it's fine by me.

Hope this helps.

Greetings!

Walker