[cod] Centos 5 1000hz kernel or other custom kernels

Andy Duplain andy at trojanfoe.is-a-geek.net
Fri Apr 11 11:19:10 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 11:47:20AM +0200, Miguel Hern?ez wrote:
> Like always, dual xeon quad core with 8 gb fbdimm.
>
> The topic is that with Centos 4 I haven't problems with the same hardware.
> The servers shutdown randomly, it isn't a network problem.
>
> Kenny Southpark escribi?:
>> What are your server specs?
>>

>> > Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 02:32:20 +0200
>> > From: miguel at innovagames.es
>> > To: cod at icculus.org
>> > Subject: [cod] Centos 5 1000hz kernel or other custom kernels
>> >
>> > I have noticed that with Centos 5 bring a 1000hz kernel and I have
>> > hadn't stability with COD2 and COD4 servers.
>> >
>> > Any experience with it or can be other thing in the new kernel that I am
>> > not seeing.

Do you build your own kernel?  If so you can turn this timing down to 250Hz
or something and see if that affects things.  You could also try the 'nohz=on'
boot parameter if you don't want to build your own kernel and that will turn on
dynamic ticks, overriding the 1000Hz option (I think - haven't tried it myself).

If you want to get the best from your system you really should compile your
own custom kernel and then you have complete control of your system and are
free to use whatever kernel version you like (i.e. not tied to those published
by your distro).

Your servers shutdown randomly and you don't know why?  Where is the love?

Andy