[cod] Upload

Devlin alternity at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 20:50:21 EST 2007

Dubravszky József wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I am completely aware of what is needed to run a linux CoD server :-)
> My comment was just an implied disprove of our pal's thought of you
> don't need a retail copy of CoD4 release. So as far as you need the
> files from the DVD you need the DVD. And yes, it does not mean that
> you have to have the dist phisically in the servers DVD drive. To
> return back to the original thought: you need at least one copy of
> CoD4  to run a legal server no matter how many servers you are
> running. If you run 10 windows CoD4 servers you don't purchase 10
> copies of CoD4. But you purchase at least one and then run it several
> times. Just think about it! It is not limited to run several instances
> of CoD4. Ok, as a server you are running the free linux binary but you
> are still using the files that are purchased by someone sometime. Or
> if you did not buy the product then you are stealing it, and if you
> are stealing it you are on an illegal path. That is my train of
> thought :-)
> Opinions?
>
> joey
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "stalvi" <stalvi at tek.iarc.uaf.edu>

The issue is that a large portion of game servers allow you to setup and
run a dedicated server without owning the game.

For example you can get a copy of the dedi files for ET:QW that includes
all neccasary files in a download from the official site.  That way I
can run a server for my players without actually owning the game
myself.  Steam is the same way.  I can use it to install copies of the
dedi servers for the various source and goldsrc games without having to
own a copy of the game.

Really just wishing CoD4 offered this option for this of us not as
inclined towards multiplayer FPS, but still wish to offer gameservers of it.