[cod] Call of Duty 4

James Landi jim at landi.net
Thu Jul 12 21:02:05 EDT 2007

I sat down with IW a couple weeks ago out in LA and went over all the fun
stuff regarding running a server (both private and GSP types)  On top of the
list was:

Linux support (server side ) out of the box
AC out of the box
server only files - > had to explain to them about the pain it is to first
upload the files when we all share them from a fast host.  But after that
patching these "shared" servers are a pain.   I think they started to get
what I was bitching about, however their new way of low or no load times
between maps may hinder the server only files but they are looking into it.

I also volunteered to help put together a cvar/rcon guide list and this may
be possible, via white papers from IW.  More on that to come later down the
road.

They are listening and it sounds like they are going to do their best to
accommodate us, the server admins running their games.

Also EA has made the word "ranked" a bad word.  CoD4 will not be like BF2
ranked servers.  I've also told them, do not use the R word, it scares a lot
of people away.

- Jim Landi
Rudedog
FPSadmin.com | FPSgameforums.com