Just starting out

Jon Pastore jpastore at emdistro.com
Mon Dec 17 07:48:34 EST 2007

Hello, new to Linux game server setup, but I have a descent amount of
Linux knowledge.

I have a CentOS server setup running OpenVZ for a variety of projects. I
followed the instructions in the README that came with the Icculus Linux
server and it claims to be running but I can't connect. I was looking
for a definitive HOWTO setup a Linux CoD4 server. In the README I see a
reference to the a config file but I'm unable to locate where the config
file should be so I can set parameters, mainly a password for the
server. Also, can someone give me a list of ports to open. I tried
adding rules to iptables to allow for UDP connections on a variety of
ports I found listed in forums, but I can't get a straight answer on
which ports to open, someone claimed that 3389 needed to be opened, as
this is the RDP port I think they were trying to do something shady. As
a test I just shut down iptables to see if I could connect, and was not
able to. Is there a log file I can monitor to help debug this?

Is there a service script init.d that I could put into a cronjob?
Considering the resources used and what people are complaining about
regarding memory consumption, I would like to have the server only run
during a set number of hours. Kills 2 birds, I work, and while working
during critical hours I have my resources available to me and am less
likely to be lured into playing while I should be working =)

Is OpenVZ an issue? should I move this to the host instead of a virtual
environment? I'd prefer to keep it in a virtual environment since I can
contain resource utilization and I have a script I wrote to monitor the
bean counters in /proc/user_beancounters (essential a flat file that
reports usage statistics and fail counts). When fail counts increment, I
get an email. I was actually forced into using OpenVZ because mod_vhs
for Apache doesn't play nice with regular Apache config files and have
really grown to like it. This server has 8G of Ram, 250G SATA drives
mirrored, host OS and guest OS's are running CentOS 4.6, and SELinux is
disabled. It's ideal because it's sitting at a hosting company with a
100Mbs open pipe and I'm only billed for average bandwidth utilization
for the month. I contractually have 15mbs of average utilization for
$139 USD a month and it's $36 per Mbs of averaged utilization above that
and I'm no where near it =)

-Jon