[cod] [cod4] Linux Server: High Latency

Jeff Wilges jeff.wilges at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 13:35:50 EST 2007

Hi all,

Are you experiencing higher latency with your CoD 4 GNU/Linux servers
than any other comparable game servers (e.g. Day of Defeat,
Counter-Strike: Source, Unreal Tournament, etc.)? I've tried CoD 4 out
on several (well within 'spec') Debian GNU/Linux server machines, and
regardless of the circumstances, I see an absurd amount of overhead in
the latency. (This is of course not even mentioning the absurd amount
of memory reserved for the CoD 4 server process.) Actual latency with
traceroute or ping, for instance, might report 30 - 40 ms, while
actual latency with CoD 4 reports 100 - 110 ms (in comparison, CS:
Source reports 15 - 25 ms). Is this perhaps merely a temporary side
effect to the software only recently being ported to GNU/Linux?

Cheers,

Jeff Wilges