[cod] patch kicked back to me...

Mike Noordermeer mike at normi.net
Tue Jun 20 15:45:26 EDT 2006

Hi,

stalvi wrote:
> Well, I have to admit, I never got into server admin aspect of UT.  I
> don't even have a clue if they have a linux version, although it doesn't
> seem like much of a stretch as my understanding is they do have
> Macintosh (FreeBSD) based servers.   I suppose that depends on what they
> were written with.
>
> The patches have been buggy there too.   I don't think you'll find any
> application that didn't have bugs with patches.

The Epic/UT patch process is by far the best patch process of all game
studios/servers. They release beta patches, at least listen to you with
direct developer feedback, bring out hot fixes when necessary, try to
make sure the linux patch isn't too late (at least the last couple of
versions they tried) and different code versions are forward/backward
compatible. A lot of companies could learn from them.

--
Mike Noordermeer
mike at normi.net