[cod] which linux distribution for a cod2 gameserver

drlove at notorious9.net drlove at notorious9.net
Mon Aug 14 11:52:49 EDT 2006

Quoting "::DFC::MacBooom[NL]" <macbooom at dutchfightclub.nl>:

> Hello all,
>
> In a few months we are having our own clan lanparty (55 members)
> Before I always ran my lan server on a windows installation.
> But I want to set it up this time on a linux box.
> But there are that many different linux distribution, so that makes it hard
> to choose which I want to use for the cod2 (lan)server.
>
> Box specs:
> Amd 3200+xp athlon
> 1 gig of corsair memory
> 6800 NU moded to a oc GT.
> Hdd Maxtor 80GB and 40GB
>
> Just tested yesterday with the old windows box and with 8 players on it I
> have a cpu load of 5 to 9 %.
> Should it also be possible to run 2 * 20 slots servers on this box under
> linux, with PB enabled?
>
> Regards,
> MacBooom

As said earlier, almost any distro should be fine. I would suggest
making sure you have a recent kernel and libc.
If I am not using FreeBSD Linux emulation, I personally use slackware,
which works fine. You may want to choose a more user-friendly (read:
graphical installer) distro if you are used to Windows.

Jeff Love
Burgh Gaming