Potential server CPU load issues

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Mon Oct 31 15:29:11 EST 2005

Well this is a new one I must say and I h8 to be constant
moaner but unless you guys have just discovered some
sort of quantum computing solution which enables ur
server ( win32 ) to run in 0% CPU I'm a little concerned
at the results Im seeing here ATM.

It looks like what happening is that the server is releasing
its timeslice before its over ( potentially a call to yield )
which although very nice in theory has the unfortunate
side effect that no CPU usage is measured for said time
slice. The can under extreme circumstances result in
almost all CPU time being used but never registering
in stats e.g. taskmanager or process explorer.

So why is this bad? Well it prevents anyone from determining
the real CPU usage that is actually taking place and as such
people may well load up their machines well beyond their
capacity and hence cause chaos with lag when all monitoring
will be showing everything in the green.

Example usage ( win32 server on a Dual AMD 275 ):
http://gaming.multiplay.co.uk/stats/server_6186_hour.png

    Steve / K