[cod] Linux beta server problems

Mark J. DeFilippis defilm at acm.org
Sat Oct 29 17:26:54 EDT 2005

Yea, I see that people misunderstand this quite a bit....

No, I have a Quad CPU Tyan k8qs-4880 which has 4 Opteron
CPU's. This is a Hyper Threading motherboard and shows
up as 8 virtual CPU's.  You can disable processors on the board.
These Tyan MoBo's are a hidden little secret. The throughput increase
between CPU/Cache, Bus and memory through HT is the best
thing since sliced bread. (I picked up on these when Jay mentioned
them about a year ago, and when I saw this board,I fell in love
with it.)

The other machine is a Totalcontrol Dual P4 3.2GhZ Proc
with 2GB Ram at theplanet.com. I will get that one going, but
it will take more time due to location, and I am only 1 resource.
That box running RHES 2.4 with 2 3.2P4 HT is dual CPU with
4 virtuals per the 2.6SMP Kernel.

To get similar results I can disable 2 CPU's and it runs close
to the Dual CPU P4... (A little better actually,  because the HT
CPU's code even in 2.6 SMP Kernel is not all that efficient when
compared to throughput increases on the Tyan MOBO with HT Bus...

Mark

Mark J. DeFilippis Ph. D EE           defilm at acm.org
                                       defilm at ieee.org