[cod]Disappointing... & on Cheating

Mark J. DeFilippis defilm at acm.org
Sat Oct 29 10:30:48 EDT 2005

Man, You got to play on a few public servers in the
states.  I can not believe how many wall hacks I am
seeing, and Aimbots.

As I stated, I was offered a cracked version of COD2
and a host of other games a week before they came out,
including the new BF2 add on which is not due for another
4 weeks (as of last week when the offer was made).

It is clear that the cheat coders were ready with their code
before we even got the servers up.  I know a wall hack and
Aimbots when I see them.

On the positive side, I have not found any sharking or exploits
yet, but I have to ask my clan.  They seem to find every one of
them :).  Off it goes to punksbusted.com, and TWL AntiCheat team
to be banned at least in competition play....

The way I see it there are two possibilities:

1. The EA Games/Apple Corporate method:

I have to wonder... Did ACTV get the EA Games virus?
Or the apple Corporate virus?

Case in point:
   Apple puts out a poor ipod with battery issues
   Class action lawsuit spawned
   On settlement, Apple has to replace battery of all bad Ipods and
     provide a $50 apple.com store credit.
   COst to Apple = $14.5 Million dollars (OUCH)  Right???

   Wrong...

    Based on sales of the ipod and Apples income, accounting
    shows that Apple made $14.5 Mil every 9 hours!

Point is.. Do you think Apple is sweating the class action suit
of the scratched Nano screen now?  Hardly!  EA's sales of BF2
similar scenario, and no class action suit is the only real difference.
So EA ignores their customers.  Why shouldn't they?  The difference
in sales is minimal.  People complain, but still buy the game.

Why in the world would we expect ACTV to be different?

Possibility 2:

The only possible answer is because in the past they have NOT
been an EA, or Apple. They have been a corporation of people that
seemed to care.  Individual pride in ACTV and IWN seemed to
reach outside the company to it's customers. Almost like a
family business.

That is unique in this industry. I hope remain that way. I believe in
short time we will get a yea, or nay on anti-cheat, perhaps just
not as instantaneous as we all would like it to be....

ACTV has a record of "Doing the right thing" in the past.  I just
have to believe that has not changed over night.

Mark

Mark J. DeFilippis                    defilm at acm.org
                                       defilm at ieee.org