[cod] Need to know

Mark J. DeFilippis defilm at acm.org
Fri Oct 7 08:13:05 EDT 2005

At 06:44 PM 10/6/2005, you wrote:
>We were thinking of following the WOW model but maybe not going to be the
>case. How are the sites that give the servers for free, make enough to pay
>the bills? I have looked through a couple of sites and they are asking for
>donations? Is this it? I am new to this and COD is the only game I play
>online.

PCGamer did a review on "The Guild" just before it came out
and interviewed them, and they asked them the same exact
question.  "How is it you have a WOW model, but $0 monthly fee
and still make money".

Google for the review, or borrow a copy from someone. Was
in July I believe.

The key was their model was written to be CPU efficient, and
some complexities that require WOW to have a large customer
service staff, were eliminated/reduced so this was not required.

The more efficient use of CPU time, reduced the cost of their
servers.  Keeping their costs very low, their business model
is they will make additional revenue on add-on's and other
games.

Interesting interview. Try to catch it.

Mark

Mark J. DeFilippis                    defilm at acm.org