[cod] CoD2 Demo

Mark J. DeFilippis defilm at acm.org
Sun Oct 2 13:34:58 EDT 2005

Jay,

Joy!

I prey nightly, although a man of science and agnostic,
I can not definitively say there is no master creator, so
just in case it will help, I am preying the Linux Distro comes
out at Windows release, and w/o big bad nasties.

Personally I love it!  Clan has been playing it since
it came out.  I did get comments that they were surprised
the graphics were not enhanced, but I explained it was based
on the same engine. This was a minor trivial issue

I do believe COD2 can indeed pull ahead of BF2.
However you note the 2006 releases. The demo for
F.E.A.R. was well received.  The multiplayer demo just
released is too new. No linux server I know of. :((

F.E.A.R could give them all a run for the money, except
perhaps H/L, and CS which don't count as I think they are
official religions by now. :)

COD2 timing could not be better. COD competition ladders
have fallen to about the level of SOF2.  With COD being a
totally new FPS gaming experience, breaking new ground
when if first came out, I don't understand why it's popularity
seemed to fade at twice the rate of a SOF2?  Psychology
I would presume?  If it were saturation, one would expect
both COD and SOF2 to have fallen at the same rate. But
not my area of expertise.. and I can't explain the phenomenon.

When UO was just about out and COD2, and shortly after
a COD3 announced, I wonder if ACTV knew? The "die hards"
are still playing COD or UO, as are the SOF2 diehards.
But many others lost interest. MMORPG's had a part
in it. However,  I have to wonder if we are so used to huge
gains in FPS technology that we may have higher and higher
expectations, and fulfilling those expectations is becoming
more difficult.  So how long will players be excited about
COD2?  ACTV may know.... they have COD3 in sight....

You know, if this were a drug, players would clearly fit the
profile of "addicts".  More and More to get the high and
increased absorption rates due to stimuli saturation...
This is a bit of a damming observation, as we are
potentially then on the road to eventual boredom. :(

Dr. D

Mark J. DeFilippis, Ph. D EE          defilm at acm.org
                                       defilm at ieee.org