[cod] Network server settings

Ian mu mu.llamas at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 10:38:10 EST 2005

Tickrate is the "equivalent" (using that term very loosely) of sv_fps, but
as mentioned may affect gameplay and other issues when changed.
 I think you have to be a bit careful about what you "really" mean by lower
pings. I.e in Q3 engine games (and again haven't tested if this still holds
true in cod2) there's things like cl_maxpackets (client setting), where the
higher it is the lower the "actual" latency is, however the higher the pings
are reported (so you used to see loads of people on a ping of 48). What you
see isn't necessarily what is happening. Just I used to know a few people
who used to lower their maxpackets to 30 and brag about their ping when in
reality the total turnaround latency would be higher. What you see isn't
necessarily what you get.
 Personally I would say keep sv_fps at 20, maxrate at something like 25000
and encourage people to use higher maxpackets. Without pb you can't really
even force people to have snaps of 40 (even if it didn't screw other stuff
up) to make sure they have their network settings correctly aligned with the
server.
 In truth I would prefer a game to have a standard set of server rates, and
I think has helped a lot of Q3 engine games (yes I know this isn't, but has
a lot of essences the same) because of a fairly uniform state of gameplay,
whereas css in truth is all over the shop with their network settings.