[cod] IS COD and other FPS's DEAD? On topic and off topic unfortunately!

Mark J. DeFilippis defilm at acm.org
Thu May 26 07:50:28 EDT 2005

At 10:37 PM 5/25/2005, you wrote:
>From: |PxR| TazAnimal <tazanimal at rifleteam.com>
>Subject: RE: [cod] IS COD and other FPS's DEAD? On topic and off topic
>  unfortunately!
>To: cod at icculus.org
>
>Mark:
>   In my personal experience, the FPS "Genre" has never gotten it
> right.  The discrepancy between
>players systems and internet connections causes lag which makes the game
>hard to play on
>an even level.  However, I would still be playing COD and / or COD:UO even
>with the "lag" issues
>IF the cheating community was not ruining the experience for me.  No
>matter what PunkBuster has done
>in COD and UO, there are still cheats that can get around PB.  And for me,
>playing games cheat free is the only way I enjoy playing.
>
>TazAnimal
>Brett Stinson
><mailto:tazanimal at rifleteam.com>tazanimal at rifleteam.com

I hear you 100%.  It is very frustrating.  I even saw an listing on Rent A
Coder (www.rentacoder.com), for a COD wall hack that can "not be detected
by PB".  Bad enough the people that write these cheats, and the ones that
download them and use them.  But to go out and hire a programmer to write
one, that had to be an all time low for me.

I too have watched my first string guys (The ones that can easily dominate
with bolt rifles against
those with PPSH's), fall left and right to a person clearly with an
aimbot.  You know.. The one that you shoot at, he turns does a quick
down-sight for a split second, not even bringing it above his chest before
the rifle is moved back to hold position. Fires your way, walks away with a
head shot.  WOW!  What a sniper shot with a M1.  Yea, it happens.  But then
it happens 10-15+ times, and he is the board leader.

Very frustrating.

I recall reading so much material about MOH, specifically Spearhead.  What
many called the near perfect balanced weapon FPS. However much of the death
was attributed to lack of EA follow-through anywhere near the level of
follow-up COD and COD:UO have received, and the inability to resolve the
chronic cheating dilemma.

The US is somewhere in the middle.  We are better off in home broadband
connectivity than Russian Republics, India, China, Western Europe. But we
lag places like the U.K., and Canada.  In Canada
you can get SDSL at 6Mbs for about the same price we pay here in the states
for cable/broadband.
U.K.  hopped on the Ethernet local loop provider access for business early,
and hence is able to deliver
it residentially for about 45# (Which currently is $90US approx), but
similar in UK #'s, and they
get 3Mbs down, 1Mbs up.

I have Optimum On-line cable and Verizon ADSL.  (Optimum used to be at
inception 10Mbs down, 2-3Mbs up), but quoted "10Mbs down from their data
center, and 1Mbs up".  Their hubs are overloaded and now you get lack of
consistency, which is worse than "slower". Anywhere from 700Kbs - 2.5Mbs
down, 768Kbs up, policed).  ADSL, at < 12000' from the CO, you get 3Mbs
down, 768Kbs up, otherwise you get the regular 1.5Mbs down/384Kbs up, which
is normally the case, but at 1/2 the price of cable.

We are not there yet for the next leap in bandwidth in residential service.
VOIP with QOS is "really,
QOS over other traffic in/out of your home, but still best effort if your
local ISP is not the company
providing your service. Voice is low throughput, and can sustain relatively
high jitter (Or what I call high jitter at 10-20ms+) so there is little
business reason to drive higher bandwidth to the residence.  We really can
not include "Content on demand", although IMHO, I believe in the long run,
"Content on Demand" will be the venue to provide us with more bandwidth to
the home....  But not tomorrow....

Thanks for your insightful observations. I agree, it is a part of it.

Md

Mark J. DeFilippis,Ph. D EE           defilm at acm.org
                                       defilm at ieee.org