[cod] IS COD and other FPS's DEAD? On topic and off topic unfortunately!

stalvi stalvi at tek.iarc.uaf.edu
Thu May 26 04:09:51 EDT 2005

It really goes in cycles.   After Quake II and the original Doom faded
into history, the FPS dropped a bit.  Then came the WW2 Genre's which
the ones that used to play the Quake and Quake II bit onto again
because of the simpler weapons and historic aspects.

I've not been watching the trends for a while, but they also followed
the seasons really close.  Summer time the time consuming games drop in
popularity.

My son has been really getting into Warcraft III still.   He wants WoW,
but he keeps getting mixed reviews from his friends that range from "it
sucks" to "it's the best game ever"

I do believe cheating is way out of hand and really the only way to
keep it under some control is to have a moderator that watches the
server and people.  It's because of cheating that when I play games
like Starcraft, I either play against computers or people I know IRL.

I do like some of the mods out there that turn games like CoD into
various things like sniper only and trip wire which has some very well
done realistic mods.

Being in Alaska, most servers are 100+ ping time, many are 200+.  I've
gotten used to it to a point where when we play a local game between
8-10 of us, the very low lag (10-20 ping) actually throw the timing off
a bit. (ha!)

What I don't know is how the Xbox and PS2 interact on the internet.  My
understanding is that they cannot connect to regular PC game servers,
right?  So maybe that is where a large audience is going.  I notice on
the geek shows on G4TV they tend to talk a lot about the consoles when
reviewing games.