[cod] CL_parsegamestate error

BludGeonT[EUG] bludgeont at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 15:43:56 EST 2005

Hmm,

I have had the same problem trying to run an AWE mod COD server, where
when you connect, its as if the map is just hung, and you can be a
spectator and thats it. It just sits there, and if you map_rotate, its
fine until the end of the next map.  Another issue, but possibly
related.

Only a couple of other ideas that I can think of, try running your
server without your MOD loaded up, the VS-Uk mod.  Also, make sure
that you have got no extra or old mods that are residing in your main
directory.  Sometimes, with experimenting with mods and such, updating
them, you can get cruft that lies around in the main directory and can
potentially cause problems or conflicts.

See if your server works ok without the mod first, then once you have
determined that its working or not without the mod, you know where to
go.  If it works correctly, then you know its something with the mod
youre running, or what YER was referring too by loading the mod, it
takes up too much.

Not sure if this will help more, but I would also try increasing the
com_hunkmegs value to something substancial.  I dont have exact
numbers or such, but try cranking it to something between 120-200mb
(longshot) just to see if anything happens.  Example if you dont know
how to do this

./cod_lnxded +set sv_pure 1 +set com_hunkmegs 180  <the rest of your
command line launch>

Hopefully this helps with something,

Happy Easter everyone wherever you are eh,

BludGeonT[EUG]
Earthlink Ultimate Gaming

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:50:59 -0800, yer <yer at dirtysonofabitch.com> wrote:
> This is an error caused by too large of an initial gamestate (a big chunk of
> data to setup the game) being sent over during the initial game start.  I
> cant remember what the limits are off hand but basically the total size of
> all the cvars, sounds, localized text, particle effects, etc. overloads the
> the gamestate max size.  Every mod and map that is played can add more bits
> here and there leading up to an buffer overrun.  Some of the info, cvars
> specifically,  do not cleared out between rounds so once a cvar is created
> then it will always be sent in the gamestate until the server is restarted.
>
>  It sounds like the combination of stuff you are using leads to this
> problem.  Not sure how the vs-uk's mod is set up but they maybe adding cvars
> during the initial round that do not exist right at the start of the game.
> So after one round it pushes just a bit over the limit.
>
> Not to say that it is one specific mods fault but more like some of the guys
> have already said.  The combination of maps and mods just goes over the
> limit.  You may want to take a look at some of the maps gsc's and see if
> they add a bunch of cvars or particle effects.  It could be mainly the mod
> though.  I know many mods define a huge amount of cvars for setup.
>
> -yer
>

> Ricardo Cardoso wrote:
> First of all, thank you for your kind input on this subject.

Everything
> works fine in the server (except for the crashing issues that
many seem to
> have), and there are some custom maps that work (nuenen is one
example). The
> problem is that I tried to put others in rotation (Wolfsquare,
Dufresne, all
> the latest versions which I also have in my client) and they
worked fine.
> The odd thing is that if you enter the server or are already in
when the map
> rotates you enter the map and all is fine. If the first round
has ended,
> however, no one else seems to be able to enter, myself included,
since the
> client returns the cl_parsegamestate error. In one particular
> map,
Amberville, no one was even able to enter at first round.

To address
> this issue I've tried to install older versions of the maps but
with no
> success.

My server is running cod 1.51b with VS-UK's Total War 2.3 DL
> MOD.

Kind Regards,
Ricardo Cardoso