[cod] RHE4 new 2.6 Kernel

Nathan P. natedog550 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 21 00:16:25 EST 2005

Yeah I've got RHEL 4 also.  BTW, I was the one that posted about the teamspeak / mysql issue.  You need the compat package for mysql - has the old libraries and such so that you can use them instead of the new ones that come with the new version of mysql on RHEL4:
Snipet from the teamspeak server.ini:
VendorLib=/usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.10.0.0

The package you need:
MySQL-shared-compat-4.0.23-0.i386.rpm

It may be a different set of numbers now but that's the name: MySQL-shared-compat

After that teamspeak will work with mysql.

I too ran into problems when I turned on journaling.  The main reason is because on a heavy loaded system because of the journal update time being 5 seconds it can cause' some lag - there is a setting you can pass that lowers this - used to work great with the 2.4 kernel but really the 2.6 doesn't need the journal setting from what I've tested - hurts it more than helps as Jay mentioned.

But you can do one performance trick that seems to have helped some.  You can set this in your fstab:
Example:
ext3    defaults,noatime        1 2

Add noatime after defaults on the hard drive your running your game servers off of.  Basic explination:
"The noatime setting eliminates the need by the system to make writes to the file system for files which are simply being read....."

Use at your own risk :) I just thought I'd mention it.

I recently got upgraded to a dual 73gig SCSI server.  ThePlanet stuck me in the new datacenter at infomart in Dallas.  Has anyone been put in that datacenter yet?  I've been receiving complaints of ping spikes from one of my customers that is from California.  I gathered trace routes from everyone and it seems to be the link between datacenter 3 and 5 (the new one - infomart).

Anyone else ran into anything yet?  From what I can tell it seems to be only from the western side of the US because of the trace routes I've received - the ones that had the problem were in like Arizona and California etc:

13   246 ms   200 ms   199 ms  dist-vlan32.dsr3-2.dllstx3.theplanet.com [70.85.127.62]
14    75 ms    57 ms    57 ms  po32.dsr1-2.dllstx5.theplanet.com [70.85.127.110]
15    58 ms    61 ms    58 ms  po2.tp-car3.dllstx5.theplanet.com [70.84.160.165]
16    57 ms    56 ms    56 ms  39.70-84-187.reverse.theplanet.com [70.84.187.39]

And yes I've opened a support ticket but I'm not getting anywhere with that :(  I realize that trace route packets are low priority blah blah but when it's consistent between a whole bunch of different people and the ping is that high - I don't buy into that.

Anyways.......

--
NateDog