[cod] Running Multiple servers on one IP

david at fuess.net david at fuess.net
Tue Jul 19 08:01:37 EDT 2005

It seems you understand the mechanics of the situation.

Hardware:
Make sure you have ample memory and CPU power to handle the load of 3
games. You do not want to get into a swap situation everytime you
change maps and you do not want to hit a load ceiling when all games
fill to max player capacity. (We use Dual 3.06MHz hyperthreaded XEON's
with 2GB of memory.) Make sure your net connection is up to the task.
Your connection capacity should be 4 times the average BW requirement
of all games at expected capacity. You do not want to saturate your I/O
at peak and the comm system will start to drop packets if you exceed 75%
of capacity.

Software:
You need to give a lot of thought to how you will manage multiple games
on a single server. Our server runs between 8 and 12 games of mixed
types so we have developed a control system much like you'd find at a
commercial game provider. I would suggest that you establish four
directories. Name them something like /home/cod1, /home/cod2,
/home/cod3, /games/cod. Put all of the binaries and common files in
/games/cod then symlink them into the /home/cod<n> dirs. Each
/home/cod<n> dir will have it's own configuration files so each can be
taylored to a particular purpose (league, rifles only, special maps,
special rotation, etc.). If you want to make your logfiles available to
your admins or expose the screenshot directories then you should put
them under your httpd server (apache2) and protect them with a login.
Finally, you should start each game with a script in a standard path
(like /games/cod<n>/bin/gamerun) and provide a /usr/local/gamestart
script to fire each of them up. In my system I run each game in a
screen under a username unique to the game so that they are isolated
from each other. (This is more important when you are running a mixture
of games like cod:uo, sof2, wet on the same server.)

Hope this helps,
Dave