[cod] Screen and su question.

yuk yuk at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 12 04:44:30 EST 2005

Hi all,

Jay, I did not delete the user.. Honest ;)

The problem is indeed as Steven described, the screen program is executed
from the terminal which is owned by the user Yuk. Then, because I do a su -
coduo -c screen the screen command is executed from the coduo user, however
there is no terminal created for the coduo user when you use su - coduo -c
screen. Then, loggin in as the coduo user, I do see the screen command using
screen -ls, but I cannot connect to it because the terminal is owned by yuk,
not coduo.

Steven, as for you advice to use the screen -d -m option, still that does
not work.

I do in terminal 5

[yuk at yoda yuk]$ su - coduo -c "screen -d -m"

Password:

[yuk at yoda yuk]$ screen -ls

No Sockets found in /tmp/uscreens/S-yuk.

[yuk at yoda yuk]$

[yuk at yoda yuk]$ ls -al /dev/pts

totaal 148

drwxr-xr-x   2 root  root      0 jan 12  2005 .

drwxr-xr-x  25 root  root 147456 jan 12 10:33 ..

crw--w----   1 cod   tty  136, 0 jan 12 10:40 0

crw--w----   1 coduo tty  136, 1 jan 12 10:40 1

crw--w----   1 root  tty  136, 2 jan 12 10:34 2

crw--w----   1 root  tty  136, 3 jan 12 10:40 3

crw--w----   1 yuk   tty  136, 4 jan 12 10:40 4

crw--w----   1 yuk   tty  136, 5 jan 12 10:41 5

crw--w----   1 coduo tty  136, 6 jan 12 10:40 6

[yuk at yoda yuk]$ tty

/dev/pts/5

[yuk at yoda yuk]$

And in terminal 4 ( different telnet session ! )

[yuk at yoda yuk]$ su - coduo

Password:

[coduo at yoda coduo]$ screen -ls

There are screens on:

        4701..yoda      (Detached)

1 Sockets in /tmp/uscreens/S-coduo.

[coduo at yoda coduo]$ screen -r 4701..yoda

Cannot open your terminal '/dev/pts/4' - please check.

[coduo at yoda coduo]$ tty

/dev/pts/4

[coduo at yoda coduo]$ ls -al /dev/pts

crw--w----   1 yuk   tty  136, 4 jan 12 10:42 4

crw--w----   1 yuk   tty  136, 5 jan 12 10:41 5

crw--w----   1 coduo tty  136, 6 jan 12 10:40 6

[coduo at yoda coduo]$

The initial thought behind this was to have a script run on boot of the
machine to start my coduo server but that server process should be owned by
coduo not root.

I think you script would be more usefull, except for the fact that there is
no way of executing commands on the server in the console if you do not use
screen. In otherwords, without using some sort of remote admin tool to admin
the coduo server you can only start and stop it. Sometimes you want to say,
change the map or kick some user from your server and the most easy way to
do that with all Q3 engine based servers it on the command line in the game
server console.

That is the only reason I use this screen tool.

Jay, what kind of script/command do you use to start your coduo servers ? Do
you login as the user who will own the coduo server ? Or do you use su - to
switch to that user .. I know you use screen as well, as many other members
of this mailing list, but maybe if some of you provided their approach I
could figure out the best way to go.

Thanx for the help so far.

Kind regards,

Yuk.