[cod] Screen and su question.

Jay Vasallo jayco1 at charter.net
Tue Jan 11 17:56:48 EST 2005

Delete them and start again.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: yuk
  To: cod at icculus.org
  Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 4:03 PM
  Subject: [cod] Screen and su question.

  Hi Guys,

  With great joy I have read all the posts in this lists and most of the information is very valuable! Thank you all for that.

  Now, the time has come that I need some help.

  I want to use screen to monitor my server and have created a script to start it. However, I have a problem with screen which I do not know how to solve. It's probably something trivial, but my UNIX knowledge is not so great yet so I am quite stuck. Below is a snip let of what I wanted to do and does not work.

  Using username "yuk".

  Authenticating with public key "imported-openssh-key" from agent

  [yuk at yoda yuk]$ su -

  Password:

  [root at yoda root]# su - coduo -c screen

  Cannot open your terminal '/dev/pts/6' - please check.

  [root at yoda root]# ls -la /dev/pts

  totaal 148

  drwxr-xr-x   2 root root      0 jan 11  2005 .

  drwxr-xr-x  25 root root 147456 jan 11 22:22 ..

  crw--w----   1 cod  tty  136, 0 jan 11 22:58 0

  crw--w----   1 yuk  tty  136, 1 jan 11 22:59 1

  crw--w----   1 root tty  136, 2 jan 11 22:53 2

  crw--w----   1 yuk  tty  136, 3 jan 11 22:59 3

  crw-------   1 yuk  tty  136, 4 jan 11 22:59 4

  crw--w----   1 yuk  tty  136, 5 jan 11 23:00 5

  crw--w----   1 yuk  tty  136, 6 jan 11 23:00 6

  [root at yoda root]# tty

  /dev/pts/6

  In bold, you can see that the screen command fails because it cannot open the /dev/pts/6 pseudo terminal. That is correct because that terminal is owned by the user YUK not the user CODUO which I have su'ed to before calling screen.

  If anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it.

  Kind regards,

  Yuk.