[cod] SecurityFocus

Ian mu mu.llamas at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 21:11:25 EST 2005

Hiya (sorry if it seems like spam having sent a few mails, but any
info that helps can only be good info I think). Just a quick extra,
seem to have managed to get a working patch for us thats working with
our servers, but haven't tested thoroughly, just if anyone is getting
crashes on any games its certainly worth giving it a shot...

In the q3infofix_linux.c file, there's the code to search/replace.
I've edited the patch entries (there's 4 of em...marked by <==FIX HERE
in the array), when you see that line I've changed to
"\x81\xfb\xe9\x02\x00\x00"

I.e dropped it to 02e9 (745) as the limit from 767. On the servers
I've tried so far that the patch didn't work for this has (still some
games to go), then recompile, then patch the original gameded.x86
again.

That seems to help so you don't need to change sv_hostnames etc.
Naturally its not based on firm science, so mileage again may vary
again (and if anyone knows any potential problems dropping this value
to low then please shout!), and I haven't tested enough for other
issues enough (will do tomorrow). Just really to give someone another
option who's server is still crashing after a patch, try and drop the
size that its changing from the default.

Hope that kinda makes sense, if anyone gets stuck feel free to mail
and I'll try and help as I chug through and find values that work for
me. Naturally these may only be values that work for me, and people
with different configs/games may find different values optimum.

ian