[cod] [cod2] List of Mods

Walker walkertje at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 09:19:00 EST 2005

On 12/24/05, Jay Vasallo <clanwarz at gmail.com> wrote:

> hmm, reading the txt file, it says to place a certain file in the main
> folder. If I switch to Vanilla, will I have to remove that file?

I've set my cod2 server up like this:

* I've got a source dir. where the official game .iwd files are. f.i.
/usr/local/cod2 (which contains a main dir. with in it only the official
iw_00 .. iw_14.iwd and the localized english.iwd files).
* I've got a separate dir. for every single server instance I want to run.
f.i.
/usr/local/cod2server1

In the start line of my cod2 server, I use the following two options:
+set fs_homepath "/usr/local/cod2server1" +set fs_basepath "/usr/local/cod2"

This way, CoD2 knows where to find the official game files (basepath) and
put's all logfile info in the fs_homepath.

Your server config then goes into the dir. /usr/local/cod2server1/main

If you now would like to use a mod that also contains client files (which
gets downloaded) I'd advice to use the fs_game option. With that option the
client's main dir. keeps clean, and the mods won't interfere with other
servers with other mods.

How I've done it:

I've added this option to the cod2 startup command: +set fs_game 1stSoP

I've created the dir. /usr/local/cod2server1/1stSoP
This dir. is now used like the game normally uses the main dir. So you'll
need to put the server.cfg file in the new dir. You'll also put all the
mod's in that dir. (not in the main dir.) The logfile the server writes will
also show up in that dir. (and not the main dir.)

When a client connects to your server, a new dir. on his computer will be
created called 1stSoP. All the mods that are downloaded from my server will
go into that dir. When that client connects to another server (without
fs_game) his CoD2 will not see the 1stSoP dir., will not load the 1stSoP
mods so he still has a clean CoD2 which does not interfere with the mods
downloaded from 1stSoP.

The mod on the server (in the 1stSoP dir.) is only loaded when the server is
started with the fs_game 1stSoP option. If you leave this out, the server
only uses the default main dir.
If you like to try different mods, you can also setup multiple dir's and use
a different fs_game everytime. Want to switch back to basic cod2, drop the
+set fs_game option and only default main will be used.

*remember, all configs need to be in the fs_game option's dir.

In this way, you only have to install the original CoD2 game files once. All
server instances use the same files. When a patch comes out, you'll only
have to update these files.

I hope it is a bit clear, I'm just a hobbyist ;)...
If I need to clarify something... let me know :)

Greetz,
Walker