United Offensive CPU usage

Luke luke at techfreak.org
Wed Sep 29 09:13:37 EDT 2004

Dear Gray Matter,

First, thanks for the great game! Its a ton of fun! I have CC'd the
Icculus mailing list to this email simply to let other admins know I
have tried to address this with you all directly.

However, I have been in touch with many server admins and game
server hosting companies and the bottom line is that the CPU usage
for this expansion pack is WAY, WAY too high to be sustainable.

I am writing this email NOT to complain, but to ask if you have
plans to correct this issue (and if you feel it is correctable).
Frankly, a xeon 2.4 should not be at 85% usage for 20 players on a
Linux RedHat Enterprise system...... no?

If the game code itself is not capable of being altered to reduce
CPU usage, perhaps you can develop some 'mods' that would allow game
admins to turn certain features on or off to reduce CPU usage? If
the vehicles are a large source of the issue, maybe allowing admins
to limit vehicle numbers and/or respawn frequency? Something along
these lines?

Thanks for the great game! Its tremendous fun. However, it will not
survive on-line without a substantial reduction in CPU usage.

Thanks for your time!

Luke Salsich

--
www.frankenworks.com - headquarters for linux game admins.