Linux server not showing up in in-game browser, any ideas? info enclosed

BludGeonT[EUG] bludgeont at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 15:14:04 EDT 2004

I am having a hell of a time trying to get these linux cod:uo servers
that we are running to show up in the in-game browser. Using the
canned sv_master settings that appear in example configs and such :

// MasterServers
set sv_gamespy "1"
set sv_master1 "coduomaster.activision.com"
set sv_master2 "master.gamespy.com:28960"
set sv_master3 "master0.gamespy.com"
set sv_master4 "clanservers.net"
set sv_master5 "coduoauthorize.activision.com"

Using these entries still do not allow it to show up. Ironically, they
DO show up apparently in the All Seeing Eye (ASE), and Im not too sure
about GameSpy, chances are they do.

Weird thing is, I see the server sending the heartbeat out to the cod
master server:

Sending heartbeat to coduomaster.activision.com

It also resolves the IP address of this domain as the game server
starts up. There are no ports being blocked, as all higher and
relevant UDP ports are wide open. I can ping the server from the world
so I know its not and ICMP issue.

I also thought that maybe there were too many sv_master settings so I
basically just commented them all out in the config file and started
the server up again, which achieved the same result.

Whats also weird, is typically in any other quake3 linux based game
that I have run, if you have multiple master servers entries that are
valid, you usually see a heartbeat notification being sent to the ones
in addition to the normal default master server. You dont see this
either.

Im running cod 1.4d linux version, same result with 1.4c.

Is this a known issue, I see that someone else had the same problem
apparently, and dont know if the person that replied to him helped him
out or not due to a PM, which is cool and all, but Im hoping there is
something to do about this, but I have a bad feeling there is not and
that Ryan will have to fix this with his next build, I surely hope Im
wrong.

The only thing is, Ive seen other servers show up in the in-game
browser, and the 2nd column from the left in the in-game browser
specifies with WD if the server is Windows Dedicated, or LD if the
server is Linux Dedicated. So, I have seen that linux servers do
report to the in-game browser, and Im hoping that someone can shed
some light, its maddening.

One other note. I have read in the past from official sources that if
you bring a public server (dedicated 2) up, and take it down within a
few minutes, bring it back up, and do it again, basically you are
simulating a ddos attack perhaps to their master server firewall rule
set and the master server will blackball your IP address from showing
up in the list in the event that you are ddos'ing them. This ban will
be lifted in some period of time which I do not know, but I do know
that if you are doing testing and need to bring your server up and
down a lot, its best to do it with dedicated set to 1 so that you dont
get blackballed on the master server temporarily. In any event, simply
waiting a period of time, without restarting your server over and over
again in a small amount of time will lift the block and you will be
set. Once you have finished your testing, set it back to dedicated 2
and youre set. Unfortunately, this is not the situation with my
problem, and possible others.

Thanks for your time,