[cod] Swap Memory

Joe Hunkeler wolve at dodfrontline.com
Mon Sep 27 17:03:42 EDT 2004

Pros:  If you run out of physical memory it uses the swap partition as
virtual memory.  Therefore saving you from some nasty crashes.
Cons:  If you have a slow hard drive (not common with the servers we're
seemingly running here) it can drop the overall system's performance.
That all depends on how much of the swap is being used of course.

I'd wouldn't recommend not having a swap.  Hopefully others can agree.