[cod] Swap Memory

Jay Vasallo haze at clanwarz.net
Mon Sep 27 15:03:01 EDT 2004

Thanks steve!
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Steven Hartland
  To: cod at icculus.org
  Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 9:55 AM
  Subject: Re: [cod] Swap Memory

  This entirely depends on the OS. Different OS's allocate swap in different ways.
  i.e. FreeBSD only allocates swap as it runs out of physical memory where
  as Irix allocates as much swap to a process as it does memory.
  Hence on our FreeBSD servers we set swap to just 40Mb as if a game server
  starts swapping its dead in the water ( lag city ). But if we where running on
  Irix we would set to 1.5 * the amount of memory. I don't know for sure how
  the current Linux kernels allocate swap tbh so I cant give you a concrete
  answer but its easy enough to find out, just on your server and see what
  swap is in use. If its minimal i.e. a few Mb at most it is more than likely
  using the same model as FreeBSD and its safe to allocate a very minimal
  amount of disk as swap. If it closely mirrors the used memory then 1.5 -> 2.5
  * the amount of physical memory is usually the mark iirc.

  Note: Most OS's will get is a mess if they do run out of memory and swap
  so if always keep an eye on this.

      Steve / K